Monday, May 17, 2010

Be Happy – Review Your Working Periodically

It's Sunday evening and I'm just completing my weekly ritual which involves an inspection of my performance during the last week against the target I fixed and planning for the coming week.

Overall it's been a very good week and 7 of my 10 priority goals are either on or above target. The three that are below, well let's just say they have my utmost attention. I'm sharing this with you as the weekly ritual of reflecting, reviewing and updating has allowed me to continue to grow and make significant performance gains for twelve straight years without missing a beat.

I'm convinced that anyone and that means YOU, can use the following system to make 2010 the best year of your life. Before I share my weekly ritual with you, let me provide a strong dose of reality as to WHY you should take this very seriously. Right now there are now 137 days already gone and 228 days are still in our hand to be used in 2010.

The truth is that NONE of the plans, goals or intentions that you set at the beginning of the year have held up against the weight of opposition and adversity and change. I've been around the block a few times to know that the shelf life of any goal or plan expires VERY quickly if it is not reviewed and updated on a regular basis.

Good intentions, while honourable, are of little use when you let weeks, months, and years of potential and possibility slip by un-inspected. The fact that you most likely don't engage in a weekly performance review is one of the key reasons why you are probably behind target after 137 days.

Let's change that right now! READY, SET, REVIEW. Isolate one goal and ask the following questions:
1. What specific goal am I committed to achieve? 2. What are my current results in relation to that goal? 3. What went right and why? Identify strengths and strategies to repeat. 4. What went wrong and why? Identify weaknesses and strategies to drop. 5. What corrective actions will/should I immediately implement to remain on target? 6. What are my commitments / goals for the upcoming week so that I can consider my efforts a success?

That's it, pretty simple isn't it? Of course it is! So take a guess at what I'd like you to do right now? I challenge you to sit down and complete this exercise. Give it the time and attention it deserves and I'm quite confident that you will have positioned yourself for having a breakthrough week. This system may help you review your performance, your working periodically and improve your working if you feel that you are somewhere wrong.

Be Happy – Review Your Working Periodically.


No comments:

Post a Comment